Welcome to back to another edition of ATR.
Well folks, I made a major tactical error while writing this week?s column. I originally planned to run a full transcript of my appearance last Wednesday on Fanboy Radio, but it?s WAY too long to run as a text piece. Unfortunately, I didn?t come to that conclusion until after I had spent a couple of hours transcribing it?
Anyway, this is going to set us back bit, so I apologize for that. Hopefully, we?ll get this up by Sunday night?
Overheard On The Radio
If you didn?t hear FBR last Wednesday, you can catch the free podcast here. Listeners who caught the show live got the first word on the new Phoenix: Warsong miniseries. But that wasn?t the only thing I mentioned. Here are a few highlights:
- Confirmation of Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo?s five issue miniseries staring The Joker. I also mentioned that I had some art to show for this one? (more on that shortly).
- Confirmation of Adam Warren?s Iron Man miniseries, which will be called Hyper Velocity. The artist attached is Brian Denham. (more on this shortly, as well).
- Rumors are swirling that Bruce Jones? Warlord relaunch may be canceled.
- More Thor developments are said to be coming in Fantastic Four # 537.
- The first issue of Justice League of America by Brad Meltzer and Ed Benes may be expanded to 38 pages.
- Keith Giffen & Shannon Denton have new one-shot coming up from Image called Tabula Rasa.
- Giffen will also be reteaming with J.M. DeMatteis on a new three issue Planetary Brigade miniseries from Boom! Studios.
This Has A ?Radio Free Rage? Factor of Ten Out of Ten
Now about that Joker artwork I was promising. Here you go:
And here?s another pic to tide you over:
Ballad of Serenity
We?ve received word that the new Serenity miniseries from Dark Horse will be titled Better Days and will be set during the Firefly TV series. Why? Well, for starters, all of the characters were still around at that point in the time. It?s also said to explore some plotlines that weren?t used in the original series. As expected, Joss Whedon will be co-writing this one with Brett Matthews, his collaborator on the first Serenity mini. No word yet on the artist, but Adam Hughes is rumored to be doing the covers.
As for stories that take place after the Serenity feature film? the success of the Serenity DVD may allow for a true sequel to be made. It?s just talk at this point, there are no deals and no guarantees?
But there?s still hope?
This Has A ?Burn The Land And Boil The Sea? Factor of Eight Out of Ten
One more bit of business from the Fanboy Radio appearance, the previously mentioned Iron Man: Hyper Velocity miniseries will run for five issues starting in December. As stated earlier, Adam Warren and Brian Denham are the creative team attached. Denham has also mentioned it on his Deviant Art Home page:
- Here it is! My Marvel limited series is finally here. Comics legend Adam Warren writes and provides layouts for this intense action series. Pencils and inks by me! Well–all the art was done in Illustrator so I guess I’m just “artist” instead of Penciler. Styluser doesn’t have a nice sound. I’m using a hyper realistic style on this series to counter Adam’s manga style. So if you hate manga but wanted to read an Adam Warren comic this one’s for you. If you love Manga–I brought the speedlines and import tuners!
Denham also posted an early page from the book as an example of how he uses the Illustrator program:
For all of you old school GI Joe fans out there, here?s a first look at some pages from the GI Joe: Declassified miniseries by Larry Hama and Pat Quinn. Enjoy.
Project Next Men
Earlier this week at his message board, John Byrne dropped the following tidbit:
- Anyway — hold off for a bit.
The NEXT MEN
- “phone books” are still in the pipeline, and when they come along, everything will be included.
Now, for those of you who may not remember, Next Men was Byrne?s creator owned title that came out from Dark Horse in the 90s. It was also, really, really good.
Color me intrigued on this one. Though come to think of it, I would like to have these in color, once they?re recollected. Hopefully ?phone books? doesn?t mean black and white?
This Has A ?Flame About This High? Factor of Seven Out of Ten
It?s Gotta Be The Shoes
Some of my readers have written to tell that some of the hottest shoes coming out this month are? Nike Air Sneakers based on the Fantastic Four?!
Yes, it?s true. There are shoes based on the Human Torch, Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, the Thing and Dr. Doom.
It sounds ridiculous, but Nike Air has its subculture of fans and collectors much like our own subculture. This is a rare meeting of the two worlds?
This Has An ?Air Apparent? Factor of Six Out of Ten
This Is Planet Hulk
So, Duran Duran came up in the Ipod. Sue me.
Anyway, here?s an early look at Aaron Lopresti?s art work from Hulk #96, which continues the Planet Hulk storyline with Greg Pak?
One More For The Road
And finally, one last pic this week, from Sean McKeever and Pat Olliffe?s upcoming Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends one-shot. Excelsior!
Stick a fork in me? Well, you get the idea. See you next week.
PS If anyone has any rumors, stories or news to share, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks to everyone who has been sending stuff in. It?s greatly appreciated.