Comics You Can Dance To #8: Rusty Shackles: The Name of the Game is PHALANXA column article, Comics You Can Dance To by: Danny Djeljosevic, Nathaniel MacDonald
Comics You Can Dance To is Comics Bulletin's official podcast!
Hosted by Nathaniel MacDonald and Danny Djeljosevic (that's me) and supported by various jokers and guests, Comics You Can Dance To is devoted to discussing cool comics, pop culture nonsense and hopefully introducing you to some awesome music along the way.
This week we're talking to Rusty Shackles, an awesome artist and all around cool dude with a voice fit for radio. You've seen him create art for Comics Alliance, 1Up and rapper Adam Warrock. You've probably even read his (amazingly fun) comic The Hard Ones with Chris Sims and Chad Bowers.
But have you seen his art blog, Palette Swap? That's where he and a bevy of awesome artists remix and remake old video game covers, turning this:
Rusty talked to us about his process, the lost art of the video game cover, how he almost worked on The Tick and how Bomb Queen is too naked, even for comics.
Also, this was the goofy video game cover we were talking about, which I found by Googling "snes shooter banjo guy":
Listen at the player thingie below, or click here to download.
Also! We are now on iTunes! Go subscribe and leave us a review!
...I think we're talking to Ed Brisson of New Reliable Press and letterer of Image Comics' Prophet. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully?
- Jump to 0:06:08 for our interview with Rusty Shackles!
- Jump to 0:50:57 for the weekly comics/pop culture talk!
- Jump to 1:01:20 for this episode's featured song!
Here are the things we talked about!
We only talked about two things this week, only one of which is a comic:
Also, since I bring it up: Sam Strange Remembers: Super 8. It's funny because it's true.
Here's the playlist for this episode!
Music for Comics You Can Dance To is curated by Notable Beast. Click on the links to check out the artists and/or full versions of the songs. The theme song is usually "Chnam oun Dop-Pram Muy (I'm 16)" by Ros Sereysothea,
As for the rest…
- York Wilborn's Psychedelic Six - "Psychedelic Hotpants"
- Wounded Lion - "Roman Values"
- Featured song: Pretty & Nice - "Yonkers"
Find Out More About Rusty Shackles!
- Go to Palette Swap for awesome video game cover remixes.
- Check out Rusty's art at his official website, Tabletop Fetus.
- Follow @rusty_shackles on Twitter.
- It'd probably be in your best interests to like Rusty Shackles on Facebook, too.
Here's how you find us on the Internet! (Besides on CB, of course)
- Nate Tweets music suggestions to Rob Guillory at @lentilstew
- Danny (again, that's me) fakes enthusiasm for the Watchmen prequels at @djeljosevic
- Andrew Tan usually edits the podcast, but didn't this week. Either way, he reveals my thoughts about Fast Five and pities the handsome at @TandrewTan
As always, leave a comment and let us know what we're doing right! Or email us. That works, too.