Comics You Can Dance To is Comics Bulletin's official podcast!
Hosted by Nathaniel MacDonald and Danny Djeljosevic (that's me) and supported by various jokers and guests, Comics You Can Dance To is devoted to discussing cool comics, pop culture nonsense and hopefully introducing you to some awesome music along the way.
This week our podcast editor Andrew Tan subs in for Nate in a special episode recorded in San Francisco during the Alternative Press Expo! It's a modest but steadily growing convention with a focus on alternative and small press comics, and as full of amazing talent as we were full of Fat Tire during recording.
We recorded an interview with cartoonist Derek Kirk Kim, creator of the comics Same Difference and Other Stories, Tune and producer of the web series Mythomania. Season 2 recently got funded on Kickstarter, so we talk comics and the process of making live action stuff versus making comics. It's a short chat, but we had a lot of fun talking to him.
We also sat in on a panel, "Gigantes Walk Among Us!" focusing on Latino comics creators featuring cartoonist Sergio Aragones, Mario Hernandez, Jaime Hernandez and Gilbert Hernandez and moderator Ricardo Padilla It was an incredibly fun panel and we give you the highlights including how their parents dealt with them making comics, how they celebrate the Day of the Dead in Mexico versus the US, why Gilbert's women are so exaggerated and the details of Aragones studying mime under Alejandro Jodorowsky. Also, Aragones talks about why Mexican cartoonists love butts so much.
After that, we discuss our hauls, which leads into some real in-depth talk about comics craft.
Listen at the player thingie below, or click here to download.
Also! Don't forget to subscribe to us on iTunes! Leave us a review if you can, tell all your friends, etc.
Our special Halloween episode, Comics You Can Die To, featuring an interview with Gunshow creator KC Green! For real this time!
- At one point Andrew says "Roll that beautiful bean footage," referring to a forgotten ad for Bush's Baked Beans from the 1990s:
- Also, if you're ever in San Diego, you should check out Lucha Libre Taco Shop.
- And here's my Mil Mascaras mask:
- Here's the Weezer poster I mention:
- Also, WEIRD AL FOR SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW
Here's a Rundown of our Hauls!
Here's my haul:
And here's Andrew's:
As for links:
- If you love comics that are good, go check out Study Group Comics.
- I reviewed Utu for Tiny Pages Made of Ashes.
- You should check out The Devastator, which Nick Hanover reviewed and David Fairbanks interviewed the creators of!
- Check out the work of Brendan Monroe, creator of Islands.
- Andrew picked up Coin-Op by Peter & Maria Hoey
- I picked up a couple of comics from Josh Burggraf
- Since I brought it up: Powr Mastrs, now and always.
- And you should totally pick up Wings for Wheels: A Tribute to Bruce Springsteen.
Here's the playlist for this episode!
As for the rest… click on the links to check out the artists and/or full versions of the songs.
- Hurt Bird – "Old Red Row Boat"
- Thee Satisfaction – "Methods"
- Sympho State – "Bustin' Out (Seize the Beat Version) ft. Nona Hendryx)"
- The Seeds – "Evil Hoodoo"
- Butts – "Panty Exchange (Live at KEXP)"
- Cadence Weapon – "Flower Girl"
- Aloe Blacc – "Sign Language"
- Art Official Intelligence – "Buttluv"
- Future Historians– "Golden Age"
- Featured Song: Police Teeth – "The Politics of Treble"
Find Out More About Derek Kirk Kim!
- Check out his website at lowbright.com
- Follow him on Twitter @derekkirkkim
- Read his comic Tune with Les McClaine
- And don't forget to watch Mythomania
Tweet at me, bro:
- Nate live tweets Jury Duty at @lentilstew
- Danny offers encouraging words to Snoop Dogg (but not Snoop Lion, not yet) at @djeljosevic
- Andrew Tan makes some bold assumptions about people who claim Metropolis as their favorite film @TandrewTan
As always, leave a comment and let us know what we're doing right! Or email us. That works, too.