Highlighting some great small press comics criticism being published, as well as other random things that have caught my eye over the past week.
* Alex Hoffman reviews BAT-MAN IS LOST IN THE WOODS by David Enos (one of my favorites from last year) — AND he also reviews ESCAPE ROUTE by Daniel Zender — one of those books that lingers in your brain long after you put it down.
* Scott Cederlund calls Roger Langride’s THE IRON DUTCHESS “a comedy about the purity and foolishness of love.”
* Rob Kirby reviews the new anthology from Fantagraphics called SPANISH FEVER which features the work some seemingly amazing cartoonists from Spain.
* Ray Sonne casts a critical and disappointed eye on Vanessa Davis’ SPANIEL RAGE.
* Newly minted Editor in Chief of Broken Frontier Andy Oliver reviews Rebecca Sugar’s issue of Youth in Decline’s FRONTIER #14 and describes it as “a hazy, one-shot, visual monologue that layers autobio across discarded fictional work to provide a meditative piece on our interactions with art and popular culture, and the self-perpetuating nature of artistic practice.” Whew.
* Someday I’ll figure out fucking Tumblr and then I won’t have to embarrass myself like this, but here’s this beautiful thing that Somebody (leonkpow??? — please help me here, you guys) wrote about DAD’S WEEKEND by Pete Toms.
* Just when you thought we were finally finished with “Best Of…” lists, Rob Clough suddenly puts out an amazing THE BEST SHORT-FORM COMICS OF 2016 list on TCJ.
*INK BRICK, the Journal of Comics Poetry, is running a KICKSTARTER to help put together their 80-page issue #8. If you love the possibilities of Comics Poetry, Ink Brick is an invaluable source.
* If you can, please help Tom Spurgeon update his “ALL THINGS COMICS-RELATED BY METROPOLITAN AREA” list.
* THREE POEMS by Tom Mandel
* WHY PUNCHING NAZIS IS NOT ONLY ETHICAL, BUT IMPERATIVE by Katherine Cross.
* Sarah Winifred Searle‘s THE PRICE OF ACCEPTANCE: WHY SHOULD SELF-LOVE COME AT SUCH A HIGH COST?
*Na’amen Gobert Tilahun‘s EASILY-TRIGGERED PRIVILEGED PEOPLE HAVE TURNED SOCIETY INTO THEIR OWN GIANT SAFE SPACE.