BULLET POINTS: Comics News Roundup For November 29, 2011A comics news article
Bullet Points is Comics Bulletin's weekday roundup of some of the most notable news, criticism, tweets and other craziness of the comics industry.
Think of it as the entire comics internet shrunk down into one convenient article, for people with not enough time to check every single comics website on the Internet.
LOOK AT THIS
Brian Wood did a variant cover for the final issue for his own Vertigo series, DMZ. Written by Wood and drawn by Riccardo Burchielli, DMZ #72 drops December 28, 2011.
HERE'S THE NEWS
Jen Lee Quick's Off*Beat Will Return!
One of the many original graphic novels from now-defunct manga publisher Tokyopop was Jen Lee Quick's Off*Beat, a series "about a boy genius and the friend he obsesses over." Two volumes were released before Tokyopop put the series on hiatus... and then the publisher folded a couple years later. D'oh.
Now, Quick plans to publish the third and final installment with a new publisher sometime in 2012. So look out for that.
More like Auction Comics: Nic Cage's Action #1 Might Be the Most Expensive Comic EVARRRRRR
Action Comics #1 has got to be one of the most expensive comics collector's items you could possibly buy. Last year, a CGC-graded 8.5 copy of the issue sold for $1.5 million.
This year, a 9.0 graded copy of Action #1 is going up for auction soon, and will probably sell for an unquantifiable amount of money. Is there such a thing as Infinity Dollars?
This is the copy of Action that somebody stole from celebrated lunatic actor Nic Cage's house in the year 2000 and was only rediscovered last year "in a California storage unit." Crazy shit.
In 1997, Cage bought the comic for $150,000.
- Comics Alliance has a preview of Conan the Barbarian #1 by Brian Wood (!) and Becky Cloonan (!!). (February 8, 2012)
- Newsarama has some pages from the $1.00 debut issue of Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1, by Eric Trautmann, Daniel Indro and Alex Ross, which boasts an amazing Francesco Francavilla variant cover. (November 30, 2011)
- Comic Book Resources has an unlettered preview of Uncanny X-Men #3 by Kieron Gillen, Carlos Pacheco, Paco Diaz and Rodney Buchemi. (December 28, 2011)
READ THIS COMIC
Red Spike is a sci-fi super-soldier action comic by Jeff Cahn, Salvador Navarro and Mark Texeira from Image Comics. To promote the upcoming trade paperback (out January 11, 2012), Newsarama has the entire first issue for free.
LOOK WHO'S TALKING
- Alan Moore: "I'm a bit amish."
- Adrian Tomine talks to Jorge Khoury about Optic Nerve and his unfinished graphic novel.
- ComiXology columnist Kristy Valenti writes about Theatricality in legendary manga creator Osamu Tezuka's Princess Knight and The Book of Human Insects.
- Andy Khouri interviews filmmaker Matt Pizzolo about the anthology: Occupy Comics: Art & Stories Inspired by Occupy Wall Street.
- @lastyearsmen: I bet tony hawk is the best dad. "father, will you make me a sandwich?" "not today, champ."
- @carlyhallam: I'd be surprised if the guy in this coffee shop with a beanie and rolled-up jeans DIDN'T bring a Rubik's Cube.
- @MKupperman: Maybe now we should consider Herman Cain's polar opposite, Hiswoman Abel.
- @radiomaru: Im the greatest instagr.am/p/WiJGc/
- @NateCosBOOM: If I operated a crane, I'd pick up a big hunk of whatever, yell "MAKE IT CRANE!" then drop the whatever. That'd NEVER get old.
WATCH THIS VIDEO
Sandman creator and Coraline author Neil Gaiman guest-starred on The Simpsons this past Sunday (and not just as a rinky-dink cameo!). Check out the full episode below.
Danny Djeljosevic is a comic book creator, award-winning filmmaker (assuming you have absolutely no follow-up questions), film/music critic for Spectrum Culture and Co-Managing Editor of Comics Bulletin. Follow him on Twitter at @djeljosevic or find him somewhere in San Diego, often wearing a hat. Read his comic, "Sgt. Death and his Metachromatic Men," over at Champion City Comics and check out his other comics at his Tumblr, Sequential Fuckery.