Hi-Fi Color for ComicsA comics news article
If you are looking how to learn how to color comic books with step-by-step Photoshop tutorials from the pros who color comics for Marvel, DC, & Image, then you’ll want to check out this amazing Kickstarter from Hi-Fi Colour Design and Brian Miller.
As an aspiring artist, you probably have your share of art instruction books in your collection and you probably found some of these books more useful than others. That’s simply to be expected. Some authors talk at great length about art and can be quite interesting. Other books demonstrate the author creating amazing illustrations but don’t always give you the information you need to achieve similar results. Turns out that the most helpful art instruction books don’t simply either just talk about art, or show you art, they teach you how to create something you could not have achieved before owning the book. Hi-Fi Color for Comics provides the reader with step-by-step tutorials and artwork designed to teach you how to color comic book illustrations from start to finish.
Whether you want to scan and color traditional artwork or color artwork that was created digitally, this book will show you exactly how to prep your pages for color using the provided template. If you are new to comic coloring, you will learn how to use the tools and techniques required to complete the tutorials in the book. The included Hi-Fi scripts and actions simplify the technical aspects of coloring so you can focus on being creative.
- Automated page set-up to start coloring quickly
- Magically prep your page for special effects
- Push button color separations with trapping for professional results
The book contains step-by-step tutorials show you how to easily break down images into areas of flat color. You will learn tool tricks that will both save you time as well as learn how to use Adobe Photoshop Channels function in order to give you unlimited undos when coloring. You can even follow along with the provided comicbook artwork. There are also tutorials teaching how to render backgrounds, exteriors and interiors, ground and sky, vehicles, as well as figures using cut-n-grad and cut-n-brush techniques. You will learn how to paint with light the Hi-Fi way. Plus there are new rendering tutorials featuring artwork by legendary comic creator J. Scott Campbell that you can follow along with and color yourself.
Other tutorials include:
- Knockout color holds quickly using the included Hi-Fi actions and easy to learn techniques. Learn how to apply color holds to add depth and dimension to your artwork
- Make fire effects, flares, sparkles, glows, muzzle blasts, warp effects, and more. Learn how you can create special effects images once to use over and over again. See special effects applied to actual published artwork
- Need to convert to CMYK color for commercial printing? The included Hi-Fi color settings and 1-2-3 Automation™ scripts make it easier than ever to achieve professional results
- Get advice about creating your portfolio, attending comic conventions, and submitting samples. Learn the secret to getting started and making a great impression
There are additional chapters, book upgrades, and bonus art packs from top name creators ready to include in the stretch goals which will make Hi-Fi Color for Comics bigger and better for all backers.
Stretch goals for this project include upgrades to the book, additional tutorials, art packs for your to download and color. As they hit stretch goals the book will grow in size giving your more book for your pledge. There is free U.S. Shipping for all rewards levels. Shipping fees for rewards going outside the U.S. are indicated and collected by Kickstarter. The publishers have done all they can to keep the shipping cost as low as possible but books are heavy and not cheap to ship. If shipping cost is a concern consider the ComiXology digital edition.
This project will only be funded if at least$14,900 is pledged by Thu, Apr 3 2014.
Robert J. Sodaro has been reviewing comicbooks for some 30 years. During that time, his reviews and articles have appeared in numerous print publications, as well as on the web. Subscribe to receive regular comicbook articles and reviews.