All year round, CBLDF works hard to protect the right to read. Their efforts combat the rising tide of censorship facing students, educators, and libraries, and they continue to provide a valuable safety net for creators and retailers. They can only do this work because of the generosity of of their supporters.
Today, you can help them continue this important work by making a #GivingTuesday tax-deductible donation to CBLDF. When you do, they’ll thank you with a #GivingTuesday edition of Defend Comics, a 54-page all-star anthology featuring stories by Neil Gaiman and Jim Lee, Jason Aaron and Moritat, Andy Diggle and Ben Templesmith, Terry Moore, Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier, Evan Dorkin, Amy Chu and Shannon Wheeler, and many more! This anthology is only available on #GivingTuesday, December 2, until 12:00 a.m. PT.
2014 was a busy year for CBLDF. They addressed more than two dozen challenges to comics and other books, including a national outbreak of summer reading bans. They defused several legal crises before they could rise to the level of prosecutions. They took a leadership role in Banned Books Week‘s 2014 comics focus. They also added to their expansive education mission, with several new publications, more than 40 public presentations, a new monthly podcast, a weekly newsletter, and daily news and resource content on cbldf.org. CBLDF does all of this work, and more, with a small dedicated staff.
This infographic below outlines the important work CBLDF accomplished in 2014.
The line-up in the anthology includes:
he line-up includes:
• “100 Words” by Neil Gaiman and Jim Lee
• “The First Censor” by Jason Aaron and Moritat
• “Tales of Comic Book Censorship” by Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier
• “This Isn’t A Senate Hearing…This is MADNESS” by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey
• “Milk & Cheese in CBLDF-U” by Evan Dorkin
• “The First Amendment” by Larry Marder
• “Barren Ground” by Andy Diggle and Ben Templesmith
• “Tabbie Gets A Lesson in Censorship” by Amy Chu and Shannon Wheeler
• “Dramatic Reading” by Meryl Jaffe and Janet Lee
• “Being Normal” by Mark Waid and Jeff Lemire
• “Douchebag” by Terry Moore
• “What if Wertham Was Right” by Joshua Williamson and Ron Chan
• Plus pin-ups by Ben Templesmith, Frank Miller, and Jeff Smith!
In addition you can read their annual report here.